Definition of Food Science
To understand the definition of food science in simple language, food science means studying the physical and chemical properties of food and the changes that take place while processing, packaging, storage, etc.
Why you should study Food Science?
Generally, there is no such thing as a subject that is not worth studying because all subjects have something that is useful in our lives and the other thing is that all subjects are also connected to each other. You will know that. However, the subject you want to study depends on your interest or it is up to you to decide which subject I want to study. But here we will know why this subject should be taught by keeping an eye on food science and although you can take food science knowledge of basic level if not advance level.
By studying food science you can understand food scientifically and the nature of food which is also useful in our daily life.
Some Major Subjects Of Food Science
- Food Processing
- Food Microbiology
- Food Nutrition
- Food Chemistry
- Food Analysis/Food Quality
- Food Engineering
- Food Technology etc.
From the names of these subjects, you may have known what is taught in food science and you may have guessed why we should study food science. Food law is also taught in food science.
Disciplines of Food Science
- Food Chemistry: Food Chemistry involves learning about the chemical processes that have already taken place in food or occur during food preparation.
- Food Physical Chemistry: Food Physical Chemistry involves learning about the physical and chemical interaction in food.
- Food Engineering: Food Engineering involves learning about the industrial process of food.
- Food Microbiology: Food Microbiology teaches about the microbes which are present in food. Such as which type of bacteria is good for food and which are not good for food.
- Food Technology: Food Technology involves learning about methods such as food preservation, canning, UHT, etc.
- Molecular Gastronomy: Molecular Gastronomy is the study of physical and chemical in cooking.
- Quality Control: Quality Control is studied for foodborne illness and its prevention.
- Sensory Analysis: Sensory Analysis studies the understanding of a food buyer to buy food.
Post of Food Science/Food Technology
- Food technologist
- Nutritional therapist
- Product/Process development scientist
- Quality manager
- Regulatory affairs officers
- Scientific laboratory technician
- Technical brewer
- Production manager
- Purchasing manager
- Research manager
- Research scientist
- Toxicologists etc.
French scientist Nicholas Appert is the father of Food Science. Nicholas Appert has invented a famous method like canning. It is also known as the father of Canning.